An #OldWestBaltimore legend
For those that don't know, in 1931 the Baltimore City Public School System named a South Baltimore junior high school after Rev. Harvey Johnson, the longtime pastor of historic Union Baptist Church, a civil rights activist, a social justice leader, and a longtime resident of Druid Hill Avenue.
Nanny Jack & Co, LLC is fortunate to have a rare archive of the school's artifacts.
Rev. Dr. Harvey Johnson (1843-1923) was born enslaved in Fauquier County, Virginia. Johnson was the fifth pastor in Union Baptist Church's history. The public may be familiar with Union Baptist Church and the Harvey Johnson Community Center dedicated in 1956.
According to the Baltimore Afro American Newspaper, School 106 was named Harvey Johnson Junior High School in 1931 on the recommendation of Francis M. Wood, Director of Colored Schools. It was one of 8 schools in Baltimore that year to be named after a prominent African American.